Monday, September 30, 2013

Book Review: ELEANOR & PARK

Last Monday I finished reading the novel ELEANOR & PARK by Rainbow Rowell. Here's a photo of the lovely cover:


(I love how all that white space really makes Eleanor and Park pop. But I digress.)

The story centers around two teenagers named--you guessed it--Eleanor and Park. It's 1986, and Eleanor has just returned to her family after a tumultous year away. For the sake of not giving too much away, I'll just say that Eleanor's home life isn't the best. The kids at her new school don't make it any better: Eleanor isn't the prettiest girl, and her peers are sure to let her know of it. Everyone except Park, that is. He lets her sit next to him on the bus that first day of school, and you can probably guess where it goes from there.

I know what most of you are thinking: Great, another teen romance that ends in tragedy. Who woulda thunk it? And to a degree you may be right; this book is heavy on the romance, but unlike other YA novels in the game, the relationship between Eleanor and Park feels refreshingly authentic. It's a simple love story structured over one school year, with some very traditional tropes added in. We get the first hand-hold, the first kiss, the meeting of the parents (for one side of the relationship, anyway), and the first date. But the way Rowell presents these events livens what some may go into thinking is a story "just like the rest of them." The alternating points of view allows the reader to get into the head of both Eleanor and Park, which could easily make this appeal to guys reluctant to pick up a book they may think is some measly romance novel. The 1980s setting also brings something fresh to the table. Without Internet and cell phones and all the problems that come with all these modern techonologies in terms of relationships, Eleanor and Park must bond and communicate over different things, such as listening to the Smiths on cassette tapes or reading the latest issue of Watchmen during their morning bus rides. While I appreciated Rowell mixing it up in terms of time period, something in me as a reader almost wanted the book to have more of an 80s feel. Maybe something like a scene at a heavy metal/rock concert could've been a great way for Rowell to play a bit more with her chosen time period, but then again that's just me. She kept it simple, which isn't a bad thing when it's done this well.

Like I said above, the book hinges on the romance between the two leads, and while some may find the relationship between Eleanor and Park to be oversentimental or cliched, I thought Rowell pulled it very well. Eleanor and Park's courtship is approached in a slow, almost timid way that is perfect for the kind of story being told. This is a story of one's first true love, and getting the feeling that Eleanor and Park have no idea what they're doing not only makes perfect sense, but adds even more authenticity to this story. I found myself having flashbacks of my own first crush and first kiss.

I can see the ending being very polarizing; at first I wasn't sure what to make of it myself. But I feel like after having some time to think about it, what transpires makes a lot of sense. I'm also a sucker for non-traditional endings, which is definitely what we get here.

Overall, I really enjoyed ELEANOR & PARK. It's a great, quick read for anyone--young or old--who enjoys a refreshing take on an otherwise traditional plot. A book that will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside on one page, and wildly nostalgic to the days of innocent first love on another, this is one I'll be recommending for quite some time. A-

No comments:

Post a Comment