Tuesday, December 30, 2014

My 14 Favorite Things of 2014: #7-1

With about a day-and-a-half left of 2014, I'm back with the second half of my Favorite Things list! Before we get to the final 7, let me start with a few Honorable Mentions. One thing about this list is that there are obviously more than 14 things that I loved this year, but they can't all fit. Here are a few that were very close to making the final countdown, but are too good to not at least mention:

How To Get Away With Murder: This show is deliciously over-the-top and knows it, but that's why I love it so. Add in main attraction Viola Davis (love her!) and standout supporting player Jack Falahee, and you've got what was definitely my favorite new show of the year.

Every Day: I already posted my love for this book, but it bears repeating: Go read this inventive and heartbreaking novel as soon as you can!

American Horror Story: We all know my love for this show knows no bounds, and since about 98% of this blog is dedicated to that love, I thought I'd give it the backseat treatment in order for some of my other Favorite Things to shine.

Into the Woods: I just saw this last night, but I can't get this delightful (and at times, dark) mish-mash of fairy tales out of my head. I needed another movie musical in my life, and this one hit all the right notes for me.

Now, into the actual list...

7. The Pinkprint, Nicki Minaj

(via Google Images)

I've been a die-hard Nicki fan since she first arrived on the scene way back in 2010, so you can imagine the near-three year wait for her third album felt like 10 for me. Luckily (and expectedly), the wait was well worth it: Nicki has created a record that is parts brazen rap freestyles, confessional ballads that show she can sing just as well as she can rap, with a dash of pop that most in the mainstream associate her with. By now we've all heard "Anaconda"--admit it, you've probably seen the video, too--so I recommend exploring more of Ms. Minaj's artistry with standouts such as "Feeling Myself" (featuring Beyonce) and "The Night is Still Young."

6. Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

(via Goodreads)

This was one of those books that took me by surprise: I hadn't heard of it until the week it'd been released, and once I heard the premise--a young girl writes letters to dead celebrities/important cultural figures to help cope with her own sister's death--I went straight to the bookstore and grabbed it. Any self-respecting fan of The Perks of Being a Wallflower will love this epistolary novel that tackles death, friendship, and love in such a uniquely beautiful way.

5. Gone Girl

(via Buzzfeed)

There's so much to love about this film that I'm unsure of where to begin. I could go on and on about the pitch-perfect performances, from the bone-chilling Rosamund Pike to the wickedly dry humor of Carrie Coon as Nick's (Ben Affleck) sister Go. I could talk about the outstanding direction by David Fincher, the impressive and faithful script by author Gillian Flynn, and the brilliant music (the music during the buildup to the shed scene!) for even longer. In a year of pretty-damn good book-to-film adaptations, Gone Girl was the best. Definitely my favorite movie of the year.

4. All Things Ariana Grande

(via Tumblr)

No matter what you think of her--"She sounds just like Mariah Carey!"; "I can't understand what she's saying!"; "Why does she always wear that damn ponytail?"--that didn't stop you from having one of her FOUR Top 10 hits on Repeat. With a bevy of live performances (at least she's singing live), a chart-topping second album (recommended tracks: all of them), and a close encounter with a Victoria's Secret model's angel wings, Ms. Grande ruled the year. I couldn't be happier she's getting the recognition she deserves, and can't wait to see her live (again!) come February. For more on her spectacular year, click here.

3. "BALENCIAGA!!

Okay, so I had to break my "no AHS rule" for this, because this scene happened way back in January and I'm still laughing/obsessing over it. Regardless of your overall feelings of Coven, you can't deny the laugh-out-loud absurd, #iconic, last words of Myrtle Snow.

(via Tumblr)

2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

(via Google Images)

Guys. GUYS. Never did I think a book about a college-age girl who writes fan-fiction could touch my heart so. But like I said when I first reviewed it, Fangirl became an instant new favorite of mine by time I reached page 20. Cath and her dilemma of leaving the past behind to embrace the scary future that includes college and growing up was fantastically explored, and her notions on school (she'd rather write than be in class) totally won me over. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said "this is so me" multiple times while reading it. I related to this story on such a personal level, and it is connections like the ones felt here that I love books so much in the first place: Something about opening up the pages and finding yourself within the words is a magic that's indescribable, and one that doesn't happen as often as I'd like. There is no doubt I'll be reading this book many times over, and I absolutely can't wait for Carry On in October. Seriously, do yourself a favor and start your year of reading on an excellent note (like I did) with this book.

1. My Trip to Florida


My adventure to the Sunshine State this past summer had a post of its own, though that mostly connected with my trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and re-reading Prisoner of Azkaban. That life highlight aside, my trip to Florida was one to remember for many reasons. I got to see and spend quality time with family I hadn't seen in years. I was reunited with one of my best friends from high school, whom I hadn't seen for just as long. I swam in the ocean for the first time. But perhaps the biggest thing: I did it on my own. This was my first-ever trip I planned and embarked on without my immediate family. And yes, I did get help finding a decently-priced plane ticket and was fortunate enough to have an inexpensive place to stay (thanks a million, Uncle Brian and and Aunt Melissa!), I felt a sense of independence that was at times scary but mostly exhilirating. As someone who wants more than anything to leave Kansas behind post-graduation and move onto to bigger things, this trip was an important first step in asserting that functioning on my own is something I'm capable of. The fact that this trip was able to happen, and that I had such an amazing time while I was on it, was the highlight of my year and the first of many cross-country adventures I hope to have in the future.

There you have it: My Favorite Things! Feel free to share yours with me. Happy New Year, everyone!!

--Dustin
@DustinVann

No comments:

Post a Comment